Re: . . .

From: Floyd Davidson
Subject: Re: . . .
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:00:46 -0900

nospam55 <nospa@no.yahoo.no> wrote:
>nospam55 wrote:
>
>> Felix E. Klee wrote:

>>> Thanks, this worked fine.
>>>

>> I'm also interested, how can I customize that?
>>
>>     nospam55
>
>... I mean, do you think it is safe to edit the
>
>(custom-set-faces
>  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
>  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
> '(cperl-array-face ((t (:foreground "yellow" :slant italic))))
> '(cperl-hash-face ((t (:foreground "SpringGreen" :slant italic))))
>  [etc]
> '(fringe ((((class color) (background dark)) (:background "darkslategray"))))
>
>  [etc]
>
>in .emacs ?

That's the easy way.

>Is there another way to customize?

Goto the "Options" menu, and the last item in it, the "Customize Emacs"
submenu. In that menu click on "Specific Face...".  It will prompt
you for which face or type return for all of them.  You can enter
"fringe", or get them all and search down the list for fringe.

Obviously you can either set it for that session or you can ask
Emacs to write it to the ~/.emacs file to make it permanent.

>Another way to set the fringe face without customization functions?

Sure.  The trick is to make it happen after the customization has
taken place.  Here is a function you can put into your ~/.emacs file
to do that.

(defun set-fringe ()
  "Change fringe color."
  (interactive)
  (set-face-background 'fringe  "red"))

It can be invoked as "M-x set-fringe", or...
here is a method you can add to your ~/.emacs file to make it
happen automatically,

(add-hook 'display-time-hook 'set-fringe)

If you wanted that to happen only one time, you could add
a (delete-hook ...) statement to the function.

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com