Re: eshell history cycling

From: James Cozine
Subject: Re: eshell history cycling
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:13:51 -0700

lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li> writes:

> James Cozine wrote:
>
>> While cycling forwards in the history, shells like bash stop when they
>> reach the end.  Eshell starts over from the beginning of the history
>> list.  Any pointers on how to get the bash behavior in eshell?
>
> See the variable `pcomplete-cycle-completions'.  If you want to
> cycle completions elsewhere, just not in eshell, you could do
> something like:
>
> (add-hook 'eshell-mode-hook (lambda ()
>                               (setq pcomplete-cycle-completions nil)))

Neat.  Though I've become a bit attached to eshell's current method of
completion :p

Basically, I don't want eshell-previous-matching-input-from-input[1] to
loop; if it's reached the end of the list, simply stop instead of
starting over from the beginning.  Not only am I used to this behavior
in other shells, I'm used to this behavior in Emacs!

[1] The binding function of <up>, M-p, and indirectly, <down>, M-n

-jc
--
<Mr-Ikari> X is being evil on my laptop :(((
<adrian> you have to shake it to clear the screen