Re: newbie questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: newbie questions
Date: 17 Feb 2004 09:21:35 +0200

> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:46:26 +0800 (CST)
> From: "niDapeng"<steveneo@21cn.com>
>
> 1.C-M-v can scroll down text in another screen, but how to scroll up those
> text?

One way is to invoke C-M-v with a negative argument: "C-u - C-M-v".

Another way is to type "C-M-S-v" (`S' is Shift).

Yet another way is to type "M-PageUp".

Btw, you could have learned all that if you used the Emacs built-in
documentation facilities.  "C-h c C-M-v" tells you that "C-M-v" runs
the command `scroll-other-window'.  Once you know that, it is only
logical to look for some other command with a similar name that would
scroll in the other direction.  So type "C-h w scroll-" and hit TAB--a
window will pop up which lists all commands which start with the
string "scroll-", one of them looks promising:
`scroll-other-window-down'.  Finally, "C-h w scroll-other-window-down
RET" will tell you what keys is that bound to.

> 2.C-k will kill line to end text to killing ring. how to just "delete" text
> instead of "killing". Furthermore, how to "delete" block text (relative to
> C-W "kill" block text)?

The command to do that is `delete-region'.

The reason it is not bound to any key is that you don't want to use
it, believe me.  use the kill-* commands instead, you will appreciate
the possibility to immediately get the deleted text back if you change
your mind.

Finally, a bit of advice: don't lump several unrelated questions into
a single message.  Make a separate message about each issue, and take
a few moments to come up with a meaningful Subject line for each one
of them.  This will ensure you get accurate and useful replies from
people who value their time to only read messages whose Subject
promises to be about something they know well.