Re: Emacs as a command line tool

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Emacs as a command line tool
Date: 17 Feb 2004 18:06:05 +0100

David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> > No.  You just  don't use a 25000 Watt power  pick without learning
> > its
> > features and functions.
> >

> There would be no problem in emacs having such simple command line
> features. But I guess it hasn't and that's fine too.

Well, it has:

       -f function
               Execute the lisp function function.

to invoke easily a simple function.

But the problem is that  most functions and commands existing in emacs
are designed to  be passed parameters or to  be _interactive_.  If you
program your own batch functions, you can then invoke them easily with
this -f option (and with -batch and -l).

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't