Re: File truncated at ^Z character in windows

From: John Russell
Subject: Re: File truncated at ^Z character in windows
Date: 17 Feb 2004 14:17:42 -0500

Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> writes:

> John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> wrote on 13 Feb 2004 16:03:04 -0500:
> > I just moved my all my emacs customization stuff to windows.
> > Everything seems to work ok except for one thing.
>
> > One of the files stops when it sees a ^Z character.
>
> [ .... ]
>
> > And that's it.  That's the end of the file.  Does anyone know what is
> > special about the ^Z character that makes the file end like that?
>
> I seem to remember from my long lost dark ages (~1986) that MS-DOS text
> files were expected to end in an End-Of-File character.  Yes, you've
> guessed it, ASCII 26, EOF, ^Z.  It was a pain in the posterior even then.
>
> > Thanks for the help.
>
> Two suggestions: (i) write the ^Z as an octal escape sequence, or
> something like that;  (ii) move your customization stuff back to a free
> system again.  ;-)

True, true, but sometimes it can't be helped, and if I'm going to
have to work on Windows, at least I can have my favorite editor there
to keep me company.  Also, in this case I was using VMware as a  full
system prophylactic, just in case.  While VMware isn't free either,
it still makes me feel better.

John