Emacs-Lisp question about "shell-command"

From: Kay Ulbrich
Subject: Emacs-Lisp question about "shell-command"
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:32:00 +0100

Hello!

Under Linux (version information see end of message) I am using a
simple emacs-lisp function (the actual function is more complex, but
this question is just about "shell-command"):

;; __________________________________________________
(defun my-command ()
  (interactive)
  (let (command)
    (setq command ("some-shell-command-generating-output &"))
    (shell-command command "buffername")
    ))
;; __________________________________________________

When executing the function from an unsplit emacs-frame, the window is
split and the output of the shell is written into the newly appeared
window, which containins the buffer "buffername". This obviously is
the default behaviour of "shell-command".

Is there an easy way to run the command without a new window
appearing, i.e., having the buffer created but not shown
automatically, so that my visible windows are not changed? I do not
want to open a new frame to run the function in.

Using (replace-buffer-in-windows "buffername") as the last command
in the function just did this, when I had the frame split into two
halves right away.

Output of "M-x emacs-version": GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X
toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2004-01-19 on HOSTNAME

Thank you for advice!
Kay