Re: UUIDGEN in lisp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: UUIDGEN in lisp
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:57:21 GMT

> I suggest to use raw-text-unix when doing I/O of random bytes that you
> don't want to be mangled.  no-conversion (binary is just its alias)
> once meant that the internal Mule representation was read and written
> to produce multibyte characters, so I suggest to avoid that to prevent
> confusion.

AFAIK, binary, no-conversion, and raw-text-unix are completely equivalent.
There might have been an earlier version of Emacs where `binary' was not
handled as binary, but that was clearly a bug because `binary' says very
clearly what it means.
So I recommend to use `binary' when reading a binary file because it's
obviously the right thing and if things go wrong it's clear that it's
a problem with Emacs rather than with the elisp code.  The bytes read from
/dev/urandom have nothing to do with text, so `raw-text-unix' is just
a bad choice.

        Stefan