Re: changing cursor color depending on input method

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: changing cursor color depending on input method
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:07:26 -0700

Alexander Verbovetsky wrote:

I'm using Emacs to write mathematical texts in Russian,
so I often change input method with C-\

It is very convinient if the cursor change its color
when the input mode is activated.

Currently I have the following quick and dirty code
in my .emacs:
------------------------------
(add-hook 'input-method-activate-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (if (not (eq (selected-window) (minibuffer-window)))
                 (set-cursor-color "red"))))
(add-hook 'input-method-inactivate-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (if (not (eq (selected-window) (minibuffer-window)))
                 (set-cursor-color "black"))))
This works in 95%, but the color isn't changed when in the minibuffer

Well, you explicitly check whether the selected window is a minibuffer window.
What happens if you leave that test out?

and goes wrong after "C-x C-f" (to repear I press C-\ twice).

Does a better way to do this exist?

What would be nice, IMO, is to have red cursor if next letter is
going to be non-latin and black otherwise, in all modes and regimes.

--
Kevin Rodgers