Re: Can I change the way emacs saves text files?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Can I change the way emacs saves text files?
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:13:37 -0500

David Kastrup wrote:

> "William Payne" <mikas493_no_s_p_a_m_@student.liu.se> writes:
>
>> Hello, can I control the way Emacs saves text files, and by way I mean
>> windows style and *nix style line breaks?
>>
>> Preferrably, I'm looking for a setting I can put in my .emacs file.
>
> What problem are you having with it?  It saves usually in the style
> in which it has read them.

I've had the same problem with 21.1.1, though it worked fine with an earlier
version. It always saved with Linux/unix line ends.

I just created macros using replace-regexp to change the line ends, easily
converting from either system.

These days, though, I figure I'm on Linux for good so I no longer save with
Windows line ends unless I'm sending the file to a Windows machine.

--Rod

Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.