Re: C-x RET does not do what the documentation says it should

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C-x RET does not do what the documentation says it should
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:52:54 +0200

> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:18:20 -0600
> From: "Bingham, Jay" <jay.bingham@hp.com>
>
> In emacs 20.4 (running on a Unix platform), the key sequence is a prefix
> for commands that pertain to multibyte characters coding systems, and
> input methods.
> In emacs 21.2 (the win32 binary loaded from the windows page
> <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/latest> running on a Windows32
> platform), the key sequence C-x RET now invokes spell [...]
>
> Since I do not have access to an emacs 21.1 running on a UNIX platform I
> don't know if this is a bug or if the person who created the win32
> binary provided this feature.

Are you sure your Emacs behaves like that even when invoked with the
"-q --no-init-file" switches?

If indeed your local customizations are not responsible for this, it's
some strange bug in the binary you are using.  While I cannot test
that precise binary, I have 2 versions of the Windows port of Emacs
21.x on my machines, and they both behave as advertised: "C-x RET" is
a prefix of the commands related to encoding and decoding text.