Re: How Many Emacs Users?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How Many Emacs Users?
Date: 21 Feb 2004 21:00:30 +0100

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Brad Collins <brad@studiojungle.net> writes:
> >
> >> I'm writing a investment proposal and it would be helpful to
> >> include the number of Emacs users (Xemacs etc) are out there.
> >>
> >> Are we talking in the tens, hundreds, a million or more?
>
> How would there be any way to know, unless GNU or FSF keep download
> statistics?  And even that woul dnot be reliable, given that there are
> many precompiled binary distributions that GNU/FSF now nothing about.
> There's no sales receipts for Emacs...

About  half the  unix  users, I'd  say.   The other  half (minus  some
epsilon) would be  vi users.  Well, remove MacOSX  users from the unix
user count...

Between 2 and 4 million I'd say.
--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't