Re: tab in all modes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tab in all modes
Date: 23 Feb 2004 08:23:31 +0200

> Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:25:46 +0100
> From: Piotr Piwko <piotrpiwko@afro.afraid.org>
>
> ;; C-MODE
> (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook '(lambda ()
>       (setq c-syntactic-indentation nil)
>       (setq c-indent-level 4)
>       (setq c-basic-offset 4)
>       (setq c-indent-tabs-mode 1)
>
> What I must put in .emacs, to have tabs in all modes, not only c-mode.

What modes, specifically?  ``All modes'' is too many to think about ;-)

In general, you want to set indent-tabs-mode, I think.  (What is
c-indent-tabs-mode, btw?  I don't see it in my Emacs.)

IIRC, Emacs uses TABs by default in all modes except Text mode and its
derivatives (like Texinfo mode, Mail mode, etc.).  In other words,
modes designed for writing programs already use TABs unless the
relevant programming language requires spaces.