Re: regexp / replacement for variable

From: Joakim Hove
Subject: Re: regexp / replacement for variable
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:03:10 +0100

Kevin Dziulko <weaselboy1976@yahoo.com> writes:

> depending on the given filename.
>
> I put the following to my .emacs file:
>
> (defun new-c-header ()
> "Insert c-header skeleton."
> (interactive "")
> (progn
> (setq bname (upcase(buffer-name)))
> (insert
> (message "#ifndef %s\n\#define %s\n\n#endif"
> bname bname))))

The (progn  ) construction in your code is superfluous.

Suggestion:

use (let ) to define variables with local scope, in your
implementation the variable bname will be defined and visible for the
complete remaining emacs session.

(let ((bname (upcase (buffer-name)))
      (var2  "value for var2))
   ... )

> Apart from knowing that "message" might not be the right
> choice here

That is right - (message ..) prints the contents in the minibuffer. Insert
should do the job:

(insert (format "#ifndef %s\n#define %s\n\n#endif bname bname))

> , I don't know how to modify the value of bname!?  "replace-regexp"
> doesn't seem to be the what I'm looking for.

I don't understand what changes you want to make to bname. Maybe the
(string-match ..) / (match-string ...) functions provide the
functionality you are after?

> (and how could the new-c-header() be invoked by creating a

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'new-c-header)

will call new-c-header *every* time you open a .c/.h file, i.e. also
if it is an existing file. Maybe if you start new-c-header like this:

(if (= (point-min) (point-max))
   (let ((bname ...

Warning - there are probably more elegant ways to check whether a file
is new or not.

HTH - Joakim

 / Joakim Hove  / hove@bccs.no  /  (55 5) 84076       |                 \
 | Unifob AS, Avdeling for Beregningsvitenskap (BCCS) | Stabburveien 18 |
 | CMU                                                | 5231 Paradis    |
 \ Thormøhlensgt.55, 5020 Bergen.                     | 55 91 28 18     /