Re: sql-mode and LaTeX

From: Roger Mason
Subject: Re: sql-mode and LaTeX
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:49:22 -0330

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> What query were you talking about?  I think you omitted that.  I
> don't know sql, but your code does sounds interesting.  However it
> is going to be too hard for me to help debug when I can't see it.

This is the query (it was embeded in my original post):

--  This outputs the preamble
select'\\documentclass{article}
\\title{GAC Budget 2004}
\\author{Roger Mason \\\\ (with help from Karen Johnston \\& Karen Dawe)}
\\usepackage{float}
\\begin{document}
\\maketitle\n';

Not a very interesting query perhaps, but a simple one that
demonstrates the problem.  It just outputs the preamble to a LaTeX
document.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the SQL
statement itself.  The issue is that RET is prepended to the first
line of output, which contains table headings from the database.  In
an sql-mode buffer the RET is displayed as '^M' and the (first line
of) output from the database follows.  This is easy to clean up to
leave behind only the SQL output.  If the output is instead redirected
to a buffer that is in LaTeX mode the RET is displayed as '...' and
the output from the SQL query is lost - the line ends after '...'.

I would like to be able to filter out the prepended RET so it never
reaches the LaTeX buffer or, failing that, have it displayed in a form
that preserves the SQL output and can be removed manually.

I hope my question clearer now.

Thanks for your interest.

Roger