Emacs on OS X - configuration package

From: David Reitter
Subject: Emacs on OS X - configuration package
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:37:46 GMT

Hi,

In November 2003, I asked a couple of questions regarding how to get
Emacs to integrate into Mac OS X, for example to display only one frame
per buffer. Quite a few people got back to me about that, thanks.

I have compiled a series of packages to work with Andrew Choi's port and
decided to release it, even though it is far from perfect.  Mac users
can find my configuration package at

http://www.reitter-it-media.de/software/osx_emacs.html

I am using this with a recent built from source; I have a link (and a
mirror) of binaries from mindlube on the page for your convenience.

Among the things changed by the package are:

- OS X standard keyboard shortcuts: Apple-S saves a file, Apple-Q for
quit, Apple-C/X/V for clipboard operations, Apple-F to find a string -
and many more

- Emacs has a normal menu.

- When you load a file, a new window opens (Emacs calls this: a frame). (
Closing with Apple-W currently has a few glitches.)

- Clipboard operations interoperate with other Mac apps. However, if you
mark a chunk of text, it will be automatically copied into the clipboard. (
How can I get rid of this?)

- Recent Files are available from the File menu.

- Mouse Wheel works

- Emacs remains extensible, so you can use special syntax coloring
setups or enjoy embedded CVS support, a HTML markup menu and the like.

I would like to improve this with more tweaks and welcome patches.

Dave