Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package

From: videoxfer
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:53:57 GMT

On 2004-02-29, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> I assume you're working with the CVS version of Emacs, so it would be good
> to send such messages to emacs-devel@gnu.org and to try and get some of
> your changes installed in Emacs-CVS.

I _hope_ these specializations don't become part of the standard
carbon built.  I want emacs to look like emacs regardless of the
platform.

> What is `Apple' mapped to in Emacs terms?

In the carbon build it's either alt or meta, depending on the value of
the variable mac-command-key-is-meta.  Every carbon emacs user I know
sets this variable to nil, the result of which is to make the apple
key (aka 'command' or 'cmd' key) map to alt and the option key map to
meta.  It's a little odd the 'alt' key (same as 'option' on apple
keyboards) isn't mapped to alt.  But for consistency with running
emacs in a Terminal it makes more sense (see below).

In X11, the mapping depends on xmodmap in the usual way.  All the osx
emacs users I know who are running an X11 version map apple and option
to alt and meta, respectively, which gives the same behavior as the
carbon build when mac-command-key-is-meta is nil.

When running in a Terminal window, the apple key is used for
application commands, in the usual mac way, and can't be remapped. The
option key can be set to act as meta, at least to some extent, which
is consistent with the other two modes.

>> - Emacs has a normal menu.
>
> Good.

I agree it sounds good, but I don't know what the OP means here.  The
standard carbon build already has a 'normal' menu.

>> - When you load a file, a new window opens (Emacs calls this: a frame). (
>> Closing with Apple-W currently has a few glitches.)
>
> This seems completely orthogonal to the OS you're running on.

It's part of the old macos human-interface guidelines.  Personally I
would _not_ want this behavior in emacs, regardless of platform.

>> - Mouse Wheel works
>
> Didn't it already work before?

It did.