remote login from SGI

From: rbaxter
Subject: remote login from SGI
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:40:03 -0600

Dear All,

I am logging in to a linux box (Mandrake 9.2) from an SGI (Octane) running IRIX
(6.5.17m) via SSH. I am trying to run Emacs (21.2) remotely using the command:

> emacs -nw foo.tex

Firstly I got the error message:
  emacs: Terminal type iris-ansi is not defined.

copying the termifo 'iris-ansi' from the local machine (from
/usr/lib/terminfo/i) to the remote machine (to /usr/share/terminfo/i) solved
that problem, but still emacs does not appear to load properly: I cannot move
the cursor out of the minibuffer, RET, CTRL do not work properly, etc.

I can spawn an xterm and login to the linux box and run emacs that way, but here
the screen does not appear to refresh itself properly, so that there appear to
be large gaps while scrolling through documents (although <C-l> seems to fix
this).

any advice on how to get iris-ansi to work properly please let me know,

regards,

Richard Baxter

P.S. how to access the menus in the terminal version of Emacs?