Re: IMAP clien for Emacs?

From: LEE Sau Dan
Subject: Re: IMAP clien for Emacs?
Date: 05 Mar 2004 22:58:03 +0100

>>>>> "fsu" == fsu  <fsu@sonnemans.net> writes:

    fsu> Hi, Currently I am running mutt in an OSX terminal as my
    fsu> email client with Emacs as the mail editor. Even though I
    fsu> like mutt a lot for speed and imap support, I would prefer an
    fsu> IMAP client in Emacs to avoid the endless switching between
    fsu> the apps, better customization through lisp and being able to
    fsu> read mail while replying to messages.

Gnus.

    fsu> I have looked at three options so far, but would like some
    fsu> guidance on which one to use (gnus, vm and wanderlust).

    fsu> Important to me are:

    fsu> - Speed!

At my site, the IMAP server works slowly.  Gnus can't help with that.

    fsu> - Filing in IMAP mailboxes

No problem.  My site enables procmail by default, and I sort the mails
directly by  procmail (not by  Gnus's filtering mechanism).   The IMAP
server sees only the sorted mailboxes.

    fsu>  - Copying sent mail to IMAP mailbox

No  problem.  Gnus  let's you  move  mail from  anything to  anything,
provided that the latter supports  "writing" (i.e. no Dejanews for the
destination.)

    fsu>  - CRAM/MD5

What's that?  Gnus works  with mailcrypt.el, which signs, encrypts and
verifies mails via GnuPG.

    fsu> and while traveling - Partial downloading of large messages

Enable the "Agent" function of Gnus.

    fsu> - Disconnected operation

I'm offline  right now.  Yes, I'm  just posting news,  not mails.  But
Gnus treat mail and news alike.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de