Re: Windows text files saved as Unix files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows text files saved as Unix files
Date: 10 Mar 2004 07:54:07 +0200

> From: "Feghhi, Jalil" <JFeghhi@visa.com>
> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:57:10 -0800
>
> I just installed the Windows versions of emacs and when I edit text files on
> my Windows they are saved with unix-stype linefeeds. When I open these files,
> I see Unix at the left hand side of the buffer too.
>
> I searched for some time and found several articles on this but nothing that
> could help me. How can I fix this problem? Also, why the default installation
> for Windows is like this?

Are these new files you create with Emacs, or are these existing
files you edit?

If the latter, Emacs preserves their original end-of-line format; if
they originally had Unix-style linefeeds, Emacs will save the edited
file with the same end-of-line format.

If these are new files created by Emacs, it's probably something in
your customization, as by default Emacs on Windows creates files with
Windows-style CR-LF pairs at the end of each line.  Try invoking Emacs
with "emacs -q" and see if that helps; if it does, look inside your
.emacs (or _emacs) init file for some customization that causes this.
Things to watch for are setting of the defaults for files'
coding-system and use of untranslated-filesystem feature.