Re: SDL (Simple Directmedia Layer) for Emacs?

From: Marco Parrone
Subject: Re: SDL (Simple Directmedia Layer) for Emacs?
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 21:09:39 GMT

Bijan Soleymani on Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:13:38 -0500 writes:

> "Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:
>
>> but I have no idea how to integrate that into Emacs.  Which leads to
>> the second question: how do you hook in external libraries (.so for
>> Unix/Linux, .dll for Windows) via elisp?
>
> You don't :)
>
> AFAIK you have to recompile emacs, to add that sort of code to the
> C base of emacs.

GNU Guile is good at this sort of things (you can put the SDL wrapper
into a module, and use it from Guile Scheme).

For example if you use Guile you don't have to maintain your
SDL-enabled fork of Guile syncronized with the upstream Guile, you
just maintain your SDL wrapper module.

I think that a good way to interface to SDL from Emacs is to write two
separate programs: the non-elisp program will access to the SDL
library and provide all the convenient specialized maybe high-level
functions for the elisp program, and the elisp program will interface
to the specialized functions of the non-elisp program using an
inferior process (for example see `C-h f run-scheme') or a TCP stream
(for example the `smtpmail-via-smtp' function uses
`open-network-stream' function).

Guile Scheme seems to be a good choiche for the non-elisp program.

However I've not experience in doing this stuff, these are just ideas.

--
Marco Parrone (marc0) <marc0@autistici.org> [0x45070AD6]