split-window-horizontally by default

From: Emory Smith
Subject: split-window-horizontally by default
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:55:26 -0700

i was wondering how i might get horizontally split (ie side-by-side) windows by default for "other-window" commands.

when i invoke a command like "find-file-other window" or "dired-display-file" from a frame with 2 windows, the other window is used automatically (which is fine), but if my frame has only a single window available, these commands have to split my single window in half.

so what id like to do is have this "automatic splitting" be done horizontally rather than vertically so i end up with 2 side-by-side windows.

(sorry for such a silly question, i just find the horizontal split to be more space-economical on a widescreen display)

thanks, emory