trouble with emacs tracking current directory

From: Aliesha Finkel
Subject: trouble with emacs tracking current directory
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 21:45:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I'm trying to wrap my makefiles in a shell script.
 My shell script is something like the following:

<do some stuff ...>
cd ..
./script_which_invokes_make

The problem is that emacs is not capturing the cd ..
command.  When I use my script as the compile command
and I try go-to-next-error, it still thinks it's in
the directory from which I ran the script, rather than
one level up.  Any ideas on how to make this work?