Re: Troubles with Umlauts

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Troubles with Umlauts
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:06:07 +0200

On Thu, Apr 22 2004, Tobias Radloff wrote:

> I am having trouble using German Umlauts ('ä', 'ö', 'ü', 'ß' - I
> wonder if you see these characters correctly now) with Emacs 20.7.

I see them correctly and they are declared correctly.  But this is not
related to your problem since you obviously used a different machine
and a differnt program (Opera) to send this message.

> I installed Deli Linux (a Slackware derivate) on an old notebook,
> together with the emacs_nox package from slackware 7.1 (there is no
> X on the machine). Umlauts work perfectly in the terminal, vi, and
> other apps, only Emacs interprets them as 'v', 'd', '|', and so on.
>
> [...] including 'set-language-environment',
> 'set-terminal-coding-system' and 'standard-display-european'. Now I
> am out of ideas.

`standard-display-european' is a bad idea (it's obsolete and often
leads to trouble).

> The following variables are set:
> LANG=de_DE
> LC_CTYPE=de_DE

LC_CTYPE isn't necessary when LANG has the same value.  But I won't
hurt neither.

> LC_ALL=de_DE

You most probably don't want LC_ALL.

Try "emacs -q -no-site-file".  If this still doesn't shot the 8bit
character, show us the output of `M-x describe-coding-system RET' in
this Emacs session.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,