Re: Hungry delete for C, C++ and Java?

From: William Payne
Subject: Re: Hungry delete for C, C++ and Java?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:55:19 +0200

<====================================

> > > It looks like you've already got c-toggle-hungry-state turned on,
here.
> > > Does it work?  Have you inserted this line here in the last day or
two,
> > > perhaps?  It ought to work.
> > >

> > I added that after your first reply and, yes, it works. =)
> >
> > > If it now works and you're happy about it, that's great, and just
ignore
> > > what follows.
> > >

> #########################################################################
> > >
> > > However, if you're interested in getting to know Emacs and CC Mode a
bit
> > > better, the way you've got CC Mode configured is highly unusual, and
> > > suggests the person who wrote the .emacs didn't fully understand the
way
> > > Emacs works.
> > >
> > > Your setup for C++ Mode looks like this in outline:
> > >
> > > (defun my-c++-mode ()
> > >   (c++-mode)
> > >   (williams-customizations))
> > >
> > > This compels you to add entries to auto-mode-alist (this is the list
> > > which tells Emacs which mode to use for a filename).  Normally C++
Mode
> > > is configured by using "hooks" - you give c++-mode a list of functions
> > > you want to get called whenever c++-mode runs.  You then get the
> > > customizations you want without need to have functions like
my-c++-mode.
> > > You could reformulate your code like this:
> > >
> > > (defun williams-c++-hook ()
> > >   (williams-customizations))
> > > (add-hook 'c++-mode-hook 'williams-c++-hook)
> > >
> > > That way, you could get rid of all these entries to auto-mode-alist.
> > > Customizations which are common to C, C++, Java, Pike, (such as the
> > > call of c-toggle-hungry-state) you need only write once, in
> > > c-mode-common-hook, like this:
> > >
> > > (defun williams-common-hook ()
> > >   (c-toggle-hungry-state 1)
> > >   (other-customizations))
> > > (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'williams-common-hook)
> > >
> > > This is extensively described on the page "Hooks" in the CC Mode
manual,
> > > and the page "Sample .emacs File" would also be of interest.

> > I am very interested in cleaning up my .emacs-file and understanding
emacs
> > and cc-mode better. I am not quite sure I follow you on the hooks
(having
> > done zero lisp coding), but I will try to understand it and incorporate
> your
> > suggestions.
> > > --
> > > Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
> > > Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter
> > > (like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").
> > >

> > / William Payne
> >

> Ok, I have added a C++ hook now and it seems to work but why doesn't give
it
> me the same indentation rules as it does for a c++-file? I don't mind it,
> just don't understand it...
>
> / WP

Lol, nevermind it wasn't using the C++ indentation rules. I know have two
hooks, one for C and one for C++. I am trying to remove the syntactic
symbols from the C hook that have no meaning in C code. Next I will add a
Java hook I guess, but I haven't been using Java anything at all for the
past two years.

I still have some indentation tweaks to do (when writing a preprocessor
macro in c or c++, I want it to align to column zero).

Also, can I output a string telling me which hook I am using?

/ WP