Re: emacsclient not working as documented

From: Benjamin Rutt
Subject: Re: emacsclient not working as documented
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:03:58 -0400

sparky1685@yahoo.co.uk (Sparky) writes:

> Thanks for the info. I'm quite new to linux and haven't quite got my
> head around the CVS system yet, so I guess this will be my excuse to
> learn :-) It's good to know that I can at least hope to get things
> working this way.

CVS is pretty easy to learn, but to help you get started building
emacs from CVS, here are the basic commands I use:

$ cd /tmp
$ mkdir emacsbuild
$ cd emacsbuild
$ export CVS_RSH=ssh
$ cvs -z3 -d :ext:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
$ cd emacs
$ ./configure
$ make bootstrap
$ su -c 'make install'

Then, to try it out, just run /usr/local/bin/emacs.

If the build fails, you can always replace the cvs command with

cvs -z3 -d :ext:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -D "2 days ago"
emacs

and keep trying larger values for the 2 in "2 days ago" until you get
checkout one that builds.

Hope this helps,
--
Benjamin Rutt