is easy to get hung in infinite ^G stream; how to stop it?

From: David Combs
Subject: is easy to get hung in infinite ^G stream; how to stop it?
Date: 25 Apr 2004 02:28:33 -0400

Want to see something funny?

(Ok, not so funny, then.)

Within *shell*, do "man <something>".

Yes, exactly that way.  No, *not* via M-x man.

At least if you're me (running 21.2.1), emacs gets
all screwed up trying to display a man-page into *shell*,
you get this ^G.

Hit <return>, you get one line of the man-page,
and another ^G.

Please, how to get out of this situation, to cancel
that man-command, short of having to kill the *shell* buffer
itself -- which, for a variety of reasons, I'd rather
not do.

Thanks so much!

David

PS: maybe running eg vi (or other such displaying-program)
out of *shell* will also get you into the ^G morass.