Re: tool bar mode

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: tool bar mode
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:56:35 +0200

On Sun, Apr 25 2004, Charles Jamieson wrote:

> I am unable to get rid of the toolbar in emacs 21.3.  I include the line
>
>       (setq tool-bar-mode nil)
>
> in the .emacs file.  But the tool bar is still there.  I am using Linux.

How about reading the documentation?

,----[ C-h v tool-bar-mode RET ]
| tool-bar-mode's value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| Non-nil if Tool-Bar mode is enabled.
| See the command `tool-bar-mode' for a description of this minor-mode.
| Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
| use either M-x customize or the function `tool-bar-mode'.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `tool-bar'.
`----

Thus, you should use "(tool-bar-mode -1)" or better...

,----[ ~/.Xresources (see [1]) ]
| Emacs.toolBar:  0
`----

If you turn it off via Lisp, Emacs starts with a tool-bar and turns it
off later (when the Lisp code is run).  When set via Xresources, no
tool-bar is created at all.

Bye, Reiner.

[1]
,----[ NEWS - `C-h n' ]