indentation in jde/java mode

From: ad
Subject: indentation in jde/java mode
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:07:01 -0400

Hi,

I am running "GNU Emacs 21.3.1" in my debian box. I have the following
in my ".emacs" file to use 2 char indentation for my java files:

(defun my-jde-mode-hook ()
        (setq c-basic-offset 2))

(add-hook 'jde-mode-hook 'my-jde-mode-hook)
(add-hook 'java-mode-hook 'my-jde-mode-hook)

This seems to be working fine when I edit/view files with emacs, but
when I look at the files with other editors or viewers, like "less",
I see the indentation is actually 8.

It seems like when the file is saved, the indentation is changing to
8.

Am I doing something wrong within my ".emacs"?

Thank you.