Re: How to *completely* disable font-lock mode in my .emacs?

From: Eric Smith
Subject: Re: How to *completely* disable font-lock mode in my .emacs?
Date: 28 Apr 2004 15:08:35 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> In your case, perhaps.  In general, it does guess correctly in quite a
> few cases.  If you still think Emacs _always_ guesses wrong, please
> describe your reasons; one specific case---yours---is not enough to
> justify a general claim.

I didn't say that it *always* guesses wrong.  I just said that it *does*
guess wrong.  The nature of a guess is that it is sometimes wrong.  In
this case, I think it is frequently wrong, since in my experience most
of the modern virtual terminal software (both under Linux/Posix systems
and on Windows) defaults to a light background.

Guessing wrong is *much* worse than having only B&W text.