Re: define Info's "dir"?

From: gebser
Subject: Re: define Info's "dir"?
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 23:11:54 -0400 (EDT)

That looks like it'll work.  Thanks.

At 11:42 (UTC+0200) on Sat, 1 May 2004 Kai Grossjohann said:

= gebser@speakeasy.net writes:
=
= > I'm not the original poster, but I'd like to be able to set the default
= > directory interactively and change it from time to time.  The motivation
= > is that I sometimes work on a project whose (multiple) files all reside,
= > or will reside, in a particular directory (or subdirs of it.  As a
= > fictional example, suppose I'm working on economics today.  Throughout
= > the day I create several files which I want to have in econ/national/,
= > econ/state/, econ/local/, and econ/international.  In this case I'd want
= > the default directory to be /home/ken/projects/writings/politics/econ/
= > but wouldn't want to have to type that in every time I visit a file.
= > I'm aware of "M-x cd" but this sets "default-directory" only for that
= > buffer.  I'd like a function (defun in emacspeak, yes?) which is global,
= > i.e., sets the default-directory no matter which buffer I'm currently
= > visiting.  Is there such a nicety?
=
= (setenv "econ" "/home/ken/projects/writings/politics/econ")
=
= Then C-x C-f $econ/foo RET.
=
= You can also always use $x and redefine it depending on your work
= context.
=
= Kai
=