Re: C-tab for next-buffer

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: C-tab for next-buffer
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 10:01:02 +0200

fourfold_slimy <fourfold_slimy@yahoo.com> writes:

> I've wanted the ability to cycle linearly through a useful subset of
> the buffer list for some time.  I've written the following functions to do
> that.  Comments?  My lisp skills are pretty basic.
>
> (defun next-buffer () [...]
> (defun previous-buffer () [...]

The CVS version of Emacs has next-buffer and prev-buffer commands,
maybe you can steal those?  (They are bound to C-x <left> and C-x
<right> by default -- a very cool binding IMHO.)

> The ideal thing would be for emacs to display buffers in tabs, just
> like mozilla or gedit.  Until then, I'll just make do with the one
> true editor.

There is a post in gnu.emacs.sources which provides these tabs for
Emacs.  They are built in for XEmacs.

> I would also like a buffer-list like function which returns a list of
> buffers _in the order they were created_, which seems like the more
> natural order for the buffers to be cycled through.

I think that ibuffer.el provides MRU order, which is even better I
think.

Kai