Re: How to convert .doc to plain text ascii in emacs.

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: How to convert .doc to plain text ascii in emacs.
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 15:04:12 -0400

gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:

> Thanks very much.  Your elisp works great.  There's one glitch (which I
> realize is from antiword):
>
> The three characters "\342\200\231" should be replaced by the single
> apostrophe character (').  To do this by hand, I did
>
> M-x replace-regexp Return C-q 342 Return C-q 200 Return C-q 231 Return
> Return ' Return
>
> but this does not find the intended string.  The problem seems to be
> that C-q 342 is immediately (in the minibuffer) converted into an 'a'
> with a grave symbol over it.  Putting the point on the backslash (\)
> preceding the 342 in the antiword-converted buffer and doing "C-u C-x ="
> indeed shows this a-with-grave character to be (0342, 226, 0xe2).
>
> To create a simple test case, do the following:
>
> Open an empty *scratch* buffer.  Enter into it: C-q 342 Return C-q 200
> Return C-q 231 Return.  The first character that appears is the
> a-with-grave; the second and third characters appear properly as
> \200\231.
>
> It is, I think, the failure of C-q 342 to be represented as \342 which
> is the problem.  What is the solution?
>

> tia,
> ken

Have you tried just copying and pasting the character into the minibuffer
when doing the replace-regexp?

--Rod

Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.