Re: Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Harish Narayanan
Subject: Re: Maximum buffer size exceeded
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 23:26:17 -0400

Thanks Kin.

I do things like that when I need to edit the last or first few lines. What if the portions I need edited are at some arbitrary line numbers in the middle? I don't always know exactly where they will be.

Harish

Kin Cho wrote:

Harish Narayanan <harish@gamebox.net> writes:

I've been trying to open a large file (208 MB) but I receive the
error "Maximum buffer size exceeded" and Emacs fails to open the
file. This is Emacs 21.2.1 on a Redhat GNU/Linux 9 box.

I tried searching in the archives, and noticed this has been
asked before, but the responses don't seem encouraging. Is there
a way of working around this that's arisen in the recent past?

Use head/tail/dd to extract the small part of the file you want
to edit, edit that small file, then use cat/head/tail/dd to put
it back into your original file.

Let's say you want to edit the last line of the file 208MB, which
is 1 million lines long:

tail -1 208MB > foo
emacs foo
(head -999999 208MB; cat foo) > new-208MB

-kin