Re: Cyrillic Unicode Gives Me Placeholders :-(

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Cyrillic Unicode Gives Me Placeholders :-(
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 20:59:46 GMT

> I use set-input-method to type cyrillic via cyrillic-yawerty and
> that works just dandy. Then I save it in unicode using
> universal-coding-system-argument utf-8, but when I use find-file to
> open it again the cyrillics are replaced with placeholders. (I make
> sure to switch coding system before I do that, of course)

How do you "make sure ..." exactly?
What is the value of buffer-file-coding-system after you opened the file and
the chars are re[placed by placeholders ?
Have you tried to add a cookie like

    -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

on the first line of the file?

        Stefan

PS: and of course: which version of Emacs? what's your locale settings? ...