Re: adding german and french quotes to latin-ltx.el

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: adding german and french quotes to latin-ltx.el
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 13:44:50 +0200

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

>>  ("\\glq"  ?‚)
>>  ("\\grq"  ?‘)
>>  ("\\glqq"  ?„) ("\"`"  ?„)
>>  ("\\grqq"  ?“) ("\"'"  ?“)
>>  ("\\flq" ?‹)
>>  ("\\frq" ?›)
>>  ("\\flqq" ?«) ("\"<" ?«)

> It breaks every document that does not load german.sty or Babel's
> german.  It would be very impolite to non-German users to add such a
> thing to latin-ltx.el.

It's a UTF-8 input method.  It has no relations per se to TeX/LaTeX
documents.  You will or can use those input methods for all text file
format (SGML, XML, raw UTF-8 ("txt"), LaTeX, etc.).

>> How can I add these code to the TeX input method by entering some
>> add-to-list or append statements to my .emacs?
>
> If it works nicely for you, you must have tried it already.  So what
> have you tried exactly where?

As I said: added to latin-ltx.el - the structure of this file is very
clear.  Of course, adding something to an official Emacs file is only
the 2nd best solution.  I'd prefere defadvice, customize, or setq.