Re: Persisting centered cursor with Scroll Lock key

From: upro
Subject: Re: Persisting centered cursor with Scroll Lock key
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 20:14:36 +0200

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Halloechen!
>
> Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:
>
>> Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>>
>>> I want to achieve the following: When Scroll Lock is active,
>>> i.e. when the respective keyboard diode is on, the cursor is
>>> always in the centre of the frame.
>>
>> There is scroll-in-place.el by Eric Eide (I think, could be
>> another member of the Eric conspiracy) which allows you to keep
>> the cursor where it is.  Maybe that's close enough?
>
> I've installed scroll-in-place.el and added (require
> 'scroll-in-place) to my .emacs.  This .emacs doesn't contain any
> other scroll setting commands except for (setq scroll-step 1) (as
> far as I can see), *and* the (require 'scroll-in-place) is almost
> the last command in the file.  But there is no effect nevertheless.
>
> scroll-in-place is 1, which means that the fuctions are supposed to
> be active.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Tschoe,
> Torsten.

Yeah , I had the same whish and finalle achieved a similar but more
sophisitaced behavior by the following, without using scroll-in-place:

(defun scroll-down-one-line (arg)
  "Scroll down one line, or number of lines specified by prefix arg."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((scroll-default-lines 1))
    (scroll-down-in-place arg)))
(defun scroll-up-one-line (arg)
  "Scroll down one line, or number of lines specified by prefix arg."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((scroll-default-lines 1))
    (scroll-up-in-place arg)))

(global-set-key  [(shift up)] 'scroll-down-one-line)
(global-set-key [(shift down)] 'scroll-up-one-line)

Now emacs scrolls as normal when using the arrow keys, but scrolls
with fixed cursir, around the cursor when I use the arrow
keys+shift. You can bind it to arrow keys only, of course...

Nothing to do with your scroll-lock lamp or function or whatsoever,
whatsoever...

Does this help?

--
Michael