Re: Setting mwheel down/up to new function

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Setting mwheel down/up to new function
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 21:50:36 +0100

burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se writes:

> jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com writes:
>
>> burlo_stumproot@notvalid.se writes:
>>
>> > I know, I know but my ntemacs is only used for gnus
>> >
>> > But somthing is grabbing my mouse scrolling before this
>> > (global-set-key [mouse-4] 'gnus-summary-next-page) has a chance
>> > to run.
>>
>> Unlike the usual X configuration, Windows does not map the mouse wheel
>> to mouse-4 and mouse-5. Try [wheel-up] and [wheel-down] instead.
>
> I tried that also, but all I ever get when using the mouse wheel
> is mouse-wheel-scroll-line.
>
> A C-h c gives "<mouse-wheel> runs the command mouse-wheel-scroll-line"
> no matter if I scroll the mouse-wheel up or down.

The mouse-wheel event is special in that it contains extra info about
direction and magnitude. The current CVS uses wheel-up and wheel-down
because they are a lot easier for the end user to work with, but for
21.3, if you look in lisp/term/w32-win.el, you should be able to find
the code that deals with the [mouse-wheel] event so you can copy it
and customize it yourself.