C-x TAB indent-rigidly default set to 4 columns, not to 1

From: nospam55
Subject: C-x TAB indent-rigidly default set to 4 columns, not to 1
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:19:24 +0200

Hi! The

    (global-set-key [f1] 'indent-rigidly) ;

works and is convenient, however I would like to make a mutation irFrequent of
indent-rigidly which defaults to indenting by 4 columns instead of 1 , and then
bind

    (global-set-key [f1] 'irFrequent)

; the

    (defun irFrequent (interactive)
      (indent-rigidly 4)
    )

fails because indent-rigidly expects 3 args: I have to specify the region in
the func call ; the

     (defun irFrequent (a b c) (interactive "p\nr")
       (indent-rigidly b c a)
     )

seems to be behave like indent-rigidly ; the

               (defun irFrequent (a b c) (interactive "P\nr")
                  (if (not a) (setq a 4)  )
                  (indent-rigidly b c a)
               )

seems to be almost the solution: it almost works as I hoped , the problem is
that If I specify prefix arg 4 with C-u it fails, error message :

    irFrequent: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, (4)

what is wrong?

    thanks for your time