Re: The ugly scrollbar of emacs 21.3.50.2

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The ugly scrollbar of emacs 21.3.50.2
Date: 17 May 2004 07:51:21 +0200

> Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 08:49:06 +0800
> From: Ding Lei <dinglei@ipanel.cn>
>
> The most unbearable thing is the ugly big scrollbar(splitline) between
> buffers(directory buffer, source buffer, method buffer). They take too much
> screen space, I would prefer a thin ascii char splitline in VIM.
>       Any way to customize the scrollbar in emacs?

Do you really mean the scrollbar, the vertical one that is on the
right or left of a buffer's display (called ``a window'', btw)?  Or do
you mean the horizontal separator between windows, the one below the
displayed text, where you see the buffer's name, the current line
number, etc.?

For the former: (scroll-bar-mode -1) will turn off scroll bars.

For the latter: no, you cannot disable it, nor make it a single thin
line.  About the only thing I know of that can help you is to
customize the `mode-line' face to use a smaller font.