Re: History of incremental searching

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: History of incremental searching
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:28:00 -0400

In article <80ca8c.pl.ln@acm.acm>, Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid>
wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, does anybody here know the how, when, where and by
> whom of incremental searching?
>
> When was it invented, and in which product?  Did it arise first in Emacs?
> Whose idea was it?

It's been in Emacs since its original implementation on ITS at MIT, over
25 years ago.  I don't know if this is where it originated, but there's
a good chance, since EMACS was one of the first visual editors.

> I think it is a truly remarkable idea, surely worthy  of a p***nt (please
> excuse my language here) if any software idea is.

Well, if it were, the patent would have expired by now.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA