Re: ansi/vt100 cursor issue

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ansi/vt100 cursor issue
Date: 19 May 2004 08:49:41 +0200

> From: "Barnaby Falls" <barnabyf@hotmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:25:32 -0700
>
> I run emacs 21.2 on Linux and want to get the color syntax highlighting and
> all that. When I run with TERM=vt100 I get a gray and bold highlighting and
> the cursor appears where it should.

That's because vt100 doesn't support colors.

> However, if I run with TERM=ansi, I get
> the cool color syntax highlighting but the cursor is all the way in the top
> right corner of the window and some text is wrapped and starts at the end of
> the previous line.

Sounds like "ansi" does not accurately describe your terminal: the
cursor motion commands are incorrect.

> This all just regular text emacs, no X. Any ideas on how
> to correct this so I can get emacs working with TERM=ansi?

What terminal do you _actually_ use?  You need to point TERM to the
name of that terminal, not some more-or-less arbitrary name like
"ansi".

AFAIK, GNU/Linux systems have TERM set to the right string
automatically, so you shouldn't need to change that yourself.  What is
the value of TERM when you log in with an empty .login and shell
startup files?