Re: Book writing mode?

From: Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle
Subject: Re: Book writing mode?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 22:20:12 +0200

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:44:19 -0400
"Roodwriter@core.com" <Roodwriter@core.com> wrote:

> juman@jumans.net wrote:
>

> > Is there any more then me out there who write articles, books or
> >longer storys and uses Emacs? If so what mode do you use for easy
> >editing and do write your text using HTML, DocBook etc or so for
> >easy publishing?
> >
> > /juman
>

>  That's exactly what I do. I'm a free-lance news reporter (local
> government and features) in the U.S. who works from home. I figure
> Emacs makes me at least a third more productive, at least I like to
> think so. I'm also working on my third book.
>
> [...]
>
>  As you can see from my signature I've written two books. I'm
> working on a third. I wrote them using LaTeX using Auctex mode. It's
> quite handy (Thanks David Kastrup). It colors the tags and even puts
> in some of them using keyboard shortcuts. There's are even shortcuts
> for processing (compiling) the LaTeX file and popping up the
> viewer. Emacs and Auctex make LaTeX fiendishly efficient. Its only
> drawback is it doesn't seem to like refill mode so you're back to
> M-qing again. For printing on paper, or for making PDFs, LaTeX is
> the best.

To the best of my knowlegde there is a modification of AucTeX (or so?)
to have it as a tool creating ConTeXt scripts ... I haven't had time
yet to discover on my own.  I want to mention ConTeXt for two reason:
It's far closer to ascii and it's very handsome to also produce pdf,
or pdf and ps in one process, so to say.  Postscript and pdf is
usually accepted from publishers.

ray