Re: [Q] Several emacs instances / dired and "derived" buffers

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: [Q] Several emacs instances / dired and "derived" buffers
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:15:32 -0400

In article <mailman.7759.1085670886.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 "Ames Andreas (MPA/DF)" <Andreas.Ames@tenovis.com> wrote:

>    Does it make sense to have sevaral instances of emacs running?  How
>    can I start emacs with a separate startup file (and not my default
>    .emacs)?  How can I make sure that gnuclient and friends finds only
>    my emacs-for-editing instance?  Are there other potential problems
>    I do not recognise yet?

You can use the -q option to prevent emacs from reading the default
.emacs file, and -l filename to make it load a specific file.  So your
gnus instance could be started up with something like:

emacs -q -l ~/.gnus.elc

Just make sure that only your init file for the emacs-for-editing
instance executes (gnuserve) to start up the server for gnuclient.

You'll probably want the init files to give the windows distinct title
bars.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA