Re: is easy to get hung in infinite ^G stream; how to stop it?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: is easy to get hung in infinite ^G stream; how to stop it?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 05:49:30 +0000 (UTC)

In article <jwvhdu2rg4g.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>,
Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> | cpml% vi foo.foo
>> |
>> | [Using open mode]
>> |      1
>> | "foo.foo" 3 lines, 45 characters
>> |      1
>> |
>> |      2  .
>> |
>> |      3  3

>> |       <---- Tried a series of Control-C chars here
>> |

>> Thanks for *any* hints on escaping from this hole!
>
>Have you tried to type `: q RET' ?
>

>        Stefan

Yep, have done, just like I was told to earlier --
with ZERO effect.

And Kai wants me to use eshell -- but I'm used to csh/tcsh,
and *really, really* don't want to get into bash,
and am not sure just what I must do to my .cshrc
to adjust it for eshell, and the info-doc that
comes with eshell seems *really* lacking in anything
useful as far as how to actually *use* the thing
(esp for a csh-user), ...

(using vi as the example to get the ^G^G... stuff
is only showing an easy way to get into the situation --
of course, that's not what I actually do, when
I *inadvertently*  trigger it -- actually, I
have little idea of what I did to cause it --
can't even do a "C-h l" at that time, to see what
I've recently entered as keystrokes.)

Please, can the gurus here try doing vi (as
simple way to cause the problem) in *shell* --
where M-x shell gets me into my standard shell, csh.

Then, see if *you* (said gurus) can escape.

Thanks!

PS: One puzzle: what's this stuff about how wonderful
"ed" is?  (Yes, is better than ex for *scripts*, for sure) --
how does it relate to this post?  Except to suggest
that when in *shell* I should use ed rather than vi --
again, vi is only an easy way to get the ^G problem
(and I very often do use ex from *shell*).