Re: Book writing mode?

From: Micha Feigin
Subject: Re: Book writing mode?
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 20:22:27 +0300

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 08:30:12PM -0600, Luis O. Silva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:05:30 -0500, Joe Corneli writes:
>
>    Joe> Maybe you can bring this difficulty up with the
>    Joe> publisher.  If the publisher can supply an appropriate
>    Joe> LaTeX .sty file, it will save future authors the
>    Joe> formatting hassle.
>
> I agree. LaTeX is the best option for both the writer and the
> publisher. Moreover, it is difficult for me to imagine how I
> could write a serious text, even when it is not so large,
> without RefTeX.
>
> Nevertheless, I've found myself, more than once, in the case
> when I need just plain text; for example when your work will
> be read in an e-mail and there is no way of displaying a pdf
> or a dvi file. This is the case when you need just a well
> formatted easy-to-read text file. Well, even in these cases, I
> prefer to use LaTeX and later recur to pdftotext. This formula
> works almost perfectly. The only problem may occur when you
> don't write in English, as is usually the case for me :-(
> Acknowledging that this is out of theme, I would appreciate
> some hint of other applications for converting dvi or pdf
> files to text files and that could handle different encodings.

There are several applications that can export from latex directly to
text. I don't know how they handle non-english but its worth a try.

You could try hevea for one. Exports to html/text/info. Only had an
english document to test on. Text converted ok, math had some problems.

Lyx will also convert to text and can import latex (may need some small
corrections).

You could also try one of the many latex to rtf packages and then save
as text from openoffice or rtf to text converters.