Re: Displaying TABS vs SPACES

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Displaying TABS vs SPACES
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:03:56 +0200

exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm trying to find a way to distinguish tabs from
> consecutive spaces in some source code I've inherited
> so I can get the formatting straightened out, but I
> can't figure out how.  I'm sure there must be a mode
> which allows me to distinguish the two.  If anyone
> could point me in the right direction I'd really
> appreciate it.

You can do C-x h M-x untabify RET to convert all tabs into the right
number of spaces, or C-x h M-x tabify RET to convert all whitespace
into the shortest tab/space combination.

You can do M-x set-variable RET tab-width RET before that to specify
the width of a tab.

Does this help?

Kai

PS: I thought that M-x whitespace-buffer RET would do useful things,
but it seems it does not do that in this context.  Nevertheless, it's
a cool thing, so perhaps try it.