Re: remotes

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: remotes
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:39:03 +0200

Kevin Dziulko <weaselboy1976@yahoo.com> writes:

> I use NTEmacs on Windows 2000.  I have files on a unix box that I'd
> like to work with.  Ange-ftp works fine.  But I'd like to use
> remote-compile, version control, and the debugging facilities
> locally on the remote files.  I hear that Tramp could help me with
> all this.  Is this true?  If so, how do I start on this setup.

Tramp will help a little, but I'm afraid remote debugging is going to
be difficult.  I'm not sure what can be done for this.

Editing files via Tramp should be as easy as installing Tramp,
configuring Emacs to use it, and then typing C-x C-f
/ssh:user@host:/path/to/file RET, if you have an ssh login on that
Unix box.  But of course, it is often not that easy...  Just ask
about problems you have when you encounter them.

Regarding version control, that should work fairly seamlessly: you
just hit C-x v v as if editing a local file.  I've only tested this
with RCS, though.  Quite likely some tweaks are needed to make it
work with SCCS or CVS.  Perhaps you can help by reporting findings,
and then Tramp can be changed to support this?

Then there is remote compilation.  Tramp can help a little, but the
support is *far* from perfect.  There is a file tramp-util.el in the
contrib directory which contains a tramp-compile command.  The
problem with this one is that you will not see the output as it is
arriving -- you have to wait until the compilation is finished and
then you will see the whole output all at once.  I hope that M-x
next-error RET and its ilk will work on the result.

(Recent Tramp versions include support that ought to make it possible
to make the tramp-compile command a little nicer, showing output as
it is arriving, but AFAIK this hasn't happened yet.)

And, as I said, I don't have any idea what to do about remote
debugging.

Kai