Re: Copying & Pasting Text Between emacs & Other X Apps

From: chem
Subject: Re: Copying & Pasting Text Between emacs & Other X Apps
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 03:54:50 +0200

> If I'm in my Gnome desktop running emacs in a gnome-terminal window, I
> can copy and paste text from an application, e.g., Mozilla mail to
> emacs (Ctrl-C to copy from Mozilla, Ctrl-y to paste to emacs) but I
> can't figure out how to copy from emacs to Mozilla (or any other app).

You can just use the second button of your mouse, like in other X11
apps.

The thing is that, unlike window, X11 has 2 (maybe more?)  temporary
buffer for killed (cut), or copied text :

 - the usual (from windows point of view) one that you describe;
 - another one! which work with underline.

Say, you've just underline some text with the mouse in any app (even
in your term), you just then middle-click (or SHIFT-INS ) to paste it!

The relevant variables in emacs are:
 - interprogram-cut-function;
 - interprogram-paste-function.

A last thing, try C-u, in a X app like moz.  Try also, some of the
classic keyboard shortcuts from emacs everywhere, they often run (C-k,
...)

Hope, this help.
--
Chemtov