[solved]Re: emacs command line parameter

From: Heiko Gerdau
Subject: [solved]Re: emacs command line parameter
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:49:18 +0200

On Saturday 19 June 2004 15:58, Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 02:04:36AM +0200, Heiko Gerdau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to start emacs using the command line options "-f" or "--eval"
> > to run edirs (ediff) directly (or other functions) from a GNU linux
> > command line (bash) with two directories (files) given. Something like:
> > emacs --eval=edirs "MyDir1" "MyDir2" "cpp".
> > I never succeeded.
>
> I have had some problem with that with emacs-bidi, IIRC the = wasn't
> supported and I am not sure about short versus long options. Try
> removing the = and try both short and long options and see if one of
> them works.

Thanks Micha for your answer. The "=" wasn't the problem but I finaly figured
out a working syntax.

emacs --eval "(edirs \"MyDir1\" \"MyDir2\" \"cpp\")"

does the trick. It does also work with gnuclient and can be called via user
menu of (for instance) the midnight commander to compare the directories
panels currently shown or to compare a file present on both panels.
Great!

Greetings
Heiko