Re: Time to throw away my LOVE - Emacs ?

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: Time to throw away my LOVE - Emacs ?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:36:05 -0000

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004, miles@gnu.org wrote:

> What I've seen of windows programming environments has been
> more like a cesspit of mediocrity hiding under a pretty face.

There are only a few windows tools I actually use and here is
when I actually use them.

- Excel:  It works nicely, just wish I could narrow, occur, undo,

- Outlook: Cause the rest of the world uses it, and more
  importantly, all of the professional calendar stuff is there.

- Notepad: To print an Emacs document, cause, well I've just
  never taken the time.

- Erwin:  Cause, well, this is a large part of my profession.

- CommandPrompt: Cause, sometimes I want to make sure Emacs isn't
  getting in the way.  The other thing is the ping output doesn't
  show up from an Emacs comint buffer.  But those are the only
  two reasons I might have one of these open.

- WindowsExplorer: Cause deleting entire directories is easier
  from it.  Plus, I rarely do that operation, so I don't find it
  all that cumbersome.  But, like a good keyboard enthusiast, I
  use Windows-e and then the arrow keys.  :-)

- Any windows browser, cause, they are already braindead
  operations as well as the fact that none of my projects I'm
  working on are on the hook for supporting the w3 interface.
  Plus, its nice and pretty with pictures out of the box.  Emacs
  takes hours to get it nice...

I think there are few more.  But, basically, I have any where
from 1 to 5 different Emacs sessions going, and everyonce in
awhile, I use some windows only tool.

--
Galen Boyer